Skip to main content

My Lenovo T520 experience

Summary:  An overview of my experience with a Lenovo T520.  This machine is no joke.  It's seriously fast/powerfull, everything seems to work between Windows 7 Pro x64 and Fedora 16 x64.  I have not booted into Windows very much, but that seems to perform flawlessly.

My system:

Why: I'm having a bit of a career focus shift. My primary goal/focus is to become as proficient as I once was with Solaris, or even more so. This will provide credibility and experience to leverage with my customers. I felt it doesn't represent my undying devotion to Linux, if I walk in and plop a MacBook Pro on the table. I needed a laptop to run a reasonably new Red Hat (read: fedora) release. I talked to a friend who works for Red Hat to see what his experience. He indicated that they use Lenovo T520. He was pretty indifferent on the whole topic. Before I had consider talking with Ryan, I was on the fence between a few different rigs.
Dell Inspiron 14z or the 15z.
Alienware M14x
There was some Samsung in the mix also. I wasn't seriously considering that one, however.

So, I have grown bored with the HP offerings as their machines still seem to have the same look-and-feel from 5 or 6 years ago.  I wanted at least 1600x900 resolution - if I was not planning to use my 15" MacBook Pro (1680 x 1050) as my primary workstation. I definitely did the up-sell when I purchased my MBP last May.  I hand picked the i7 model, hi-res screen, 8gig of memory. It pretty much rocks. Pulls a GeekBench score of almost 11000 (http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/403107 - 10947) and can play Portal 2 rather well. It also carries a price tag north of $2200, so I suppose it had better be bad ass.

Lenovo happened to have a 10% off special just for visiting the Lenovo website. I have to say that played a factor in the decision. In addition to the discount, they have a very active and seemingly well-representing forum, and specifically a section devoted to Linux.

On with it already...

When UPS updates their status page to state that it will be delivered by the "end of day", they apparently aren't messing around. It arrived at 5:08pm. I had to wait until 6 to start unpackaging the laptop. It was surprising how minimalist the entire package was. Basically a printout telling you to insert the battery, plug it in and power it on. Simple enough? Well, not really.
I went to power on my new laptop and I got NOTHING. No light, no beeps. Hmmm? I thought perhaps it had some failsafe to detect that it was transported from a cold environment to a warm one. However, the thing had been inside for over an hour now. So, I called Lenovo support - feeling moderately defeated and increasingly frustrated. (one interesting thing to know, the introductory voice on the support call  states that I was directed to technical support in Atlanta, GA.  - Cool) The phone rep takes my information and creates a case. I was thinking I would have to RMA the thing and wait a few more weeks. I was really bummed.  He then starts with the "troubleshooting voice" and says, "Alright, pull the battery and the power supply.  Then, push the power button 20 times, then hold it for 5 seconds."  Just as I was completing this nonsense, my phone dropped the call. At this point I was like ... whatever... I put the battery back in (and I might have plugged it in to the wall).  Either way, I hit the power button and sure enough, it came to life.  Huh?  As this is going on, the tech actually calls ME back.  I am seriously amazed with their support.

Cool... moving forward again. Within an hour of that call, I'm pretty sure I have invalidated any warranty I had ;-) I burned the restore media for the machine, all FOUR dvd's and shut the machine down. I had a Seagate Momentus 500Gig Hybrid drive out another machine. I pulled the cover and drive out of the T520 and installed the Seagate. Why? I'm going to install Fedora 16 on that drive. I'm hoping that I can USB boot the original drive. If not, it was reasonably easy to swap them around. I would just need to purchase the drive kit, which can't be terribly expensive.

So far the Fedora 16 install has gone without issue. I'm hoping it proceeds to do so.

Once the install is complete I need to transfer my "identity" off my Mac and start testing. One thing I will miss is - Spotlight. For some reason Google stopped development of their Desktop search product (people claimed that they were worried people would reverse engineer it and discover their proprietary search algorithms. OK?) And the Open Source tool - Beagle - is no longer shipping. There may be something else doing the work and I'll have to wait and see.

First Login Screen looks pretty cool. I'm pumped.

UPDATE (2011-11-17): Even though I believe my machine could boot to Windows via a USB/eSATA enclosure, I decided it would be better/easier to have a dedicated Windows partition instead. So, I stopped at Microcenter and picked up a new 750Gig Scorpio Black 7200 RPM, 16MB. After another hour-and-a-half of screwing around, I have a rather awesome setup. And this laptop amazes me how fast it is. 13338 for a GeekBench score!  That smokes my i7 Mac Book Pro by 3000 points.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RHN Satellite Server (spacewalk) repomd.xml not found

"repomd.xml not found" If you add a channel, or if your RHN cache gets corrupted, and one of your guests complains that it cannot find repomd.xml for jb-ews-2-x86_64-server-5-rpm (for example) - you need to rebuild your repodata cache. Normally this is an automated job - which is exemplified by the fact that you have obviously built out your entire Satellite environment and never had to do any of the steps you are about to do. So - some prep work: Open 3 terminals to your Satellite Server and run: # Term 1 cd /var/cache/rhn watch "ls -l | wc -l" # Term 2 pwd cd /var/log/rhn tail -f rhn_taskomatic_daemon.log # Term 3 satellite-sync --channel=jb-ews-2-x86_64-server-5-rpm Once the satellite-sync has completed, you >should< see the count increment by one.  If you are unlucky (like me) you will not. You then need to login to the Satellite WebUI as the satellite admin user. Click on the Admin tab (at the top) Task Schedules (on the left) fin

Install RHEL 7 on old HP DL380 g5

Someone at work had been running RHEL on an HP DL380 G5 and blew it up.  After several attempts at doing an installation that made me conclude the hardware was actually bad... I kept digging for the answer. Attempt install and Anaconda could not find any disks - try a Drivers Disk (dd.img) both cciss and hpsa.   -- once we did that, when the system would reboot it would say it could not find a disk. hmmm. Boot from your installation media and interrupt the startup at grub. Add hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 hpsa.hpsa_simple_mode=1 to the line starting with linuxefi press CTRL-X to boot. Once the system restarts after the install, you need to once again interrupt the startup and add the line from above. After the system starts, edit /etc/default/grub and add those 2 parameters to the end of the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX (which likely has quiet at the end of the line currently). then run # cp /boot/grub2/grub.cfg /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.orig # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2

MOTD with colors! (also applies to shell profiles)

I'm not sure why I had never looked into this before, but this evening I became obsessed with discovering how to present different colored text in the /etc/motd. A person had suggested creating a shell script (rather than using special editing modes in vi, or something) and I agree that is the simplest way of getting this accomplished quickly. This most noteworthy portion of this script is the following: RESET="\033[0m" that puts the users shell back to the original color. I typically like a green text on black background. Also - a great reference for the different colors and font-type (underscore, etc...) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Color_Bash_Prompt I found this example on the web and I wish I could recall where so that I could provide credit to that person. #!/bin/bash #define the filename to use as output motd="/etc/motd" # Collect useful information about your system # $USER is automatically defined HOSTNAME=`uname -n` KERNEL=`un