Skip to main content

VirtIO on RHEL and Fedora -performance difference between


I was not intentionally pursuing this particular validation, but I discovered that the DiskI/O on RHEL 6.2 seems to be much faster than Fedora 16.

So - I am using the same exact laptop for both installations. I do format the volume between each base OS installation.
I am using a Lenovo T520 with a 750 Gig 7200 RPM drive (don't recall specifically which one).
I have been switching between using Fedora 16 and RHEL 6.2, both x86_64, as my base OS on my laptop.  Each platform has some minor shortcomings and I happen to have some time at the moment to work through a few things.

When I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 using KVM on Fedora 16, I would be lucky to have iostat report much more than 15000 Blk_wrtn/s. I built the machine via the VMM using the VirtIO disk, NIC and Spice.
I am currently installing Windows 7 Pro using RHEL as base OS and I just happened to glance at my iostat output and it said around 115,000!  Consistently reporting above 50,000.  The total installation will take around 10 minutes, as opposed to around 40 with Fedora.

I look forward to discovering what * I * am doing wrong with Fedora to make it perform that way.  The Windows 7 Guest VM seems notably "snappier", but time will tell regarding that.

So - why am I here...

Fedora 16 and VMware 8.0.2 - UGGGGG... is a good descriptor to start the discussion (pointing at VMware mostly).  For some reason using Gnome Shell 3 and VMware, the Desktop Manager would basically lock up, or freeze. The mouse was still active, but... you couldn't click on anything, or type in that display.  Good times.  Using Compiz instead of Gnome Shell seems to mitigate this problem.  However, before moving to Fedora, I was using my VMs quite often for random things, sometimes even to check man pages.  However, now due to this particular issue I would only fire up the VM for very specific things, like Visio or Office.

So - why don't I just use RHEL and forget about the Fedora Problem?  I have grown quite attached to my music collection (currently upwards of 12,000 tracks).  Even if/when I get all the necessary packages installed for Rhythmbox, that app simply is not adequate for my needs.  There does not appear to be a decent port of either Banshee or Amarok for RHEL either (rpmForge might have them, but I have decided to stick with EPEL and rpmFusion).

Plus - I am rather fond of Fedora 16 and Gnome Shell.  It is quite strange to admit as I had a very tough time transitioning (perhaps I'm just getting old?).

But....I am an RHCE, on my path to more greatness, I should fully embrace my platform and make it work for me... and that now includes using KVM(QEMU) as my desktop virtualization platform.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RHN Satellite Server (spacewalk) repomd.xml not found

"repomd.xml not found" If you add a channel, or if your RHN cache gets corrupted, and one of your guests complains that it cannot find repomd.xml for jb-ews-2-x86_64-server-5-rpm (for example) - you need to rebuild your repodata cache. Normally this is an automated job - which is exemplified by the fact that you have obviously built out your entire Satellite environment and never had to do any of the steps you are about to do. So - some prep work: Open 3 terminals to your Satellite Server and run: # Term 1 cd /var/cache/rhn watch "ls -l | wc -l" # Term 2 pwd cd /var/log/rhn tail -f rhn_taskomatic_daemon.log # Term 3 satellite-sync --channel=jb-ews-2-x86_64-server-5-rpm Once the satellite-sync has completed, you >should< see the count increment by one.  If you are unlucky (like me) you will not. You then need to login to the Satellite WebUI as the satellite admin user. Click on the Admin tab (at the top) Task Schedules (on the left) fin

Install RHEL 7 on old HP DL380 g5

Someone at work had been running RHEL on an HP DL380 G5 and blew it up.  After several attempts at doing an installation that made me conclude the hardware was actually bad... I kept digging for the answer. Attempt install and Anaconda could not find any disks - try a Drivers Disk (dd.img) both cciss and hpsa.   -- once we did that, when the system would reboot it would say it could not find a disk. hmmm. Boot from your installation media and interrupt the startup at grub. Add hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 hpsa.hpsa_simple_mode=1 to the line starting with linuxefi press CTRL-X to boot. Once the system restarts after the install, you need to once again interrupt the startup and add the line from above. After the system starts, edit /etc/default/grub and add those 2 parameters to the end of the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX (which likely has quiet at the end of the line currently). then run # cp /boot/grub2/grub.cfg /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.orig # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2

MOTD with colors! (also applies to shell profiles)

I'm not sure why I had never looked into this before, but this evening I became obsessed with discovering how to present different colored text in the /etc/motd. A person had suggested creating a shell script (rather than using special editing modes in vi, or something) and I agree that is the simplest way of getting this accomplished quickly. This most noteworthy portion of this script is the following: RESET="\033[0m" that puts the users shell back to the original color. I typically like a green text on black background. Also - a great reference for the different colors and font-type (underscore, etc...) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Color_Bash_Prompt I found this example on the web and I wish I could recall where so that I could provide credit to that person. #!/bin/bash #define the filename to use as output motd="/etc/motd" # Collect useful information about your system # $USER is automatically defined HOSTNAME=`uname -n` KERNEL=`un